|LA Photos Home : San Pedro Photos|
San Pedro InformationThe pictures on this page are from White Park in San Pedro. Some of the plaques are difficult to read in the photographs so I printed out some of the history on this page.
About 26 miles west of here, across the channel, lies Santa Catalina Island which can be seen distinctly on a clear day.
Santa Catalina Island, originally named San Salvador by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, was later visited by Sabastian Vizcaino who reported on the friendly Indians living there. It is believed that about 9,000 Indians lived there during the 16th century.
During the 19th century the island was exploited by silver mining interests and opened to cattle ranching. The Banning brothers developed the city of Avalon and the Two Harbors area at the isthmus, as resorts before the turn of the century.
The island was sold by the Bannings to the Wrigley Company in 1918. In 1975 in order to protect both the land and the wildlife, 86% of the island was given by the Wrigleys to the Santa Catalina Island Conservatory for operation and preservation.
Catalina Channel Plaque
The Catalina Channel, about 25 miles wide and close to 500 fathoms deep (about 3,000 feet), separates Santa Catalina Island from the mainland. This part of the Pacific Ocean was first visited by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542, sailing under the Spanish flag. Today it is part of the coastal shipping route of California.
The Gabrielino Indians living in this locality, on occasion, commuted to Santa Catalina Island where they visited and traded with the Gabrielino Indians living there.
In winter whales may be observed as they migrate to Baja California where they mate and bear their young. In the spring, they can be seen again as they return to Northern waters for the summer.
White Point Plaque
This area of land, which cuts out into the sea to form a point more than ??? feet above sea level, has been called both "White's Point" and "White Point". The origin of the name is disputed. One version is that it was named for a sailor named White, who jumped ship and swan to shore at this spot, thus "White Point". Another version is that sailors used the cliff face as a landmark, because its altamira shale appears white, and that they named it "White Point". A third opinion is that it was named after Senator Stephen White, who led the political fight for development of the port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. The area was officially termed "White Point" in lease agreements signed around the turn of the century by the owner, Roman Sepulveda. The San Pedro Bay Historical Society, therefore favors "White Point", based on this authenticated documentation.
White Point Hot Springs Hotel Plaque
White Point Hot Springs Hotel was located at the Natural Sulphur Springs on the shoreline below the White Point Cliff which was once the site of the Abalone Fisheries Buildings. It was part of the Hot Springs Building Complex built about 1915 by Roman Sepulveda and operated by the Tagami family until 19??. The complex consisted of the hotel, cabina, a restaurant, a ?? water pool and other facilities. In the early 1920's, a storm damaged and undermined the foundations of some of the buildings and the resort went into decline. After the earthquake of 1988, which blocked the Sulphur Springs sources in the ocean floor, the resort was closed. Some of the Tagami family continued to live on the site until interned by the U.S. Government during World War II.
San Pedro Photos
San Pedro LifeThe December 2003 San Pedro Magazine describes some of the events in and around San Pedro.
The magazine describes the December 6th 6pm L.A. Harbor Boat Parade where Councilwoman Janice Hahn was appointed Commodore of the Fleet. The theme of the 2003 parade was Joy to the World. Traveling through the main channel of the Los Angeles Harbor, the parade is visible from Baning's Landing, the S.S. Lane Victory, the L.A. Maritime Museum, Ports O' Call Village, 22nd Street Landing and Cabrillo Marina. 
It seems like the massive Vincent Thomas Bridge has been in place forever but this is not the case. In December of 1963 the Vincent Thomas Bridge was put in place where the Islander ferryboat used to move people in its absence. 
One often wonders how different landmarks where named. It turns out that Point Vicente was named by Captain George Vancouver for his friend Friar Vicente of the Mission San Buenaventura. Point Fermin was also named by Captain George Vancouver for the Franciscan Father Fermin de Lasuen who was father-president of the California missions. It is said he considered the San Pedro area as a mission location but turned to San Juan Capistrano instead. 
|LA Photos Home : San Pedro Photos|